I’m sure everyone is just as impatient as I am to see Boston. No, I’m kidding. No one is as impatient as I am, or Jim for that matter. I figured it is time to update everyone on the past two days.
Yesterday morning I started having really frequent and intense contractions, at least 5 minutes apart for a few hours. So, like everyone has told me to, I packed up and headed to the hospital. The contractions continued at that rate the entire 3 hours we were at the hospital but with no change in my cervix [I was still 3cm], I was discharged and sent home to wait it out.
After the hospital we went to a Vietnamese restaurant here in Des Moines and tried to coax Boss out with some spicy food. Jim fondly refers to it as ‘burning his house down’. My contractions got stronger and more frequent during dinner and the entire ride home but calmed down shortly after.
Throughout the rest of last night my contractions remained about 5 minutes apart, intense and predictable and this lasted throughout the night. Jim and I both got about 2.5-3 hours of sleep but sleep is hard to come by when I am constantly moaning and groaning in pain. I spent most of the night in the fetal position clenching my cuddle pillow, so obviously this morning we headed to the hospital thinking for sure we were having a baby.
Once we got to the hospital the contractions subsided. I went from every 2-5 minutes to about every 10 minutes, out of no where. The nurse concluded I was dehydrated and offered me an IV and some Fentanyl. I turned down the Fentanyl because I was in no mood to be any loopier than I already was and didn’t want to chance getting sick as prescription pain medications often make me.
The nurse [who was as sweet as pie] started searching for a vein to insert the IV and she searched and searched and searched. She decided the vein on my left hand was the best option and went for it. My vein ‘blew’ as soon as she entered it and she called it a complete loss. She then called in the nurse who was crowned the ‘if she can’t find your vein then no one can’ nurse and put me at ease. This nurse poked me two more times, but this time in my right arm, and still no luck. I don’t care if this makes me sound weak or whatever, but that shit hurt. After this ordeal I turned into a shaking mess and it took me quite awhile to calm down.
Instead of getting an IV I ended up drinking water and lots of it. Yep, I basically went the the hospital to get stabbed 3 times and offered water. I am less than thrilled.
My cervix is still at 3 centimeters and my contractions have calmed down a considerable amount. I called my doctor’s office and changed my appointment from Friday to Wednesday and I plan on scheduling an induction because I honestly can’t take it anymore. People schedule inductions for a lot less of a reason than I have, so I don’t feel bad at all considering this option.
I will keep everyone updated as everything progresses.